The Role of the Director and the Board module will give delegates an essential understanding of the key duties, roles and legal obligations of the Director and the Board. Packed with the latest thinking and best practice, the course will explore good governance principles, provide up to date legal requirements and give Directors a renewed confidence to tackle the increasing challenges facing the Boardroom.
Delegates will be encouraged to consider their own role, Board and organisation, bringing relevant issues and challenges to share, discuss and develop solutions. This two-day programme will give you the essential knowledge, skills and confidence to improve your performance as a Director and that of the Board’s.
There will be a focus on effective corporate governance and risk management. Candidates will learn and develop their understanding of the requirements through case studies and practical examples, and using real life experiences and knowledge of the course leader and other candidates. The module will also cover specific roles in the Boardroom, such as Chair, Non-Executive Director and Company Secretary.
Who is this course for?
Whether you are an experienced long serving Director, newly appointed or an aspiring Director, this course will give you a fresh and unique insight in to an ever growing role and responsibilities accompanying the position.
Upon completion of this course, delegates will gain:
- An understanding of the duties, roles and legal obligations of the Director and the Board,
- An in depth understanding of the Company Act 2006 and its implications for businesses, along with the legal and regulatory environment businesses must operate,
- A deep insight in to corporate governance and how it influences the responsibilities, accountabilities and activities of the Board,
- A recognition of the approach to take as a Director, both in and out of the boardroom and how to improve personal boardroom effectiveness,
- The ability to identify and understand the crucial differences between direction, management and ownership,
- An understanding of how to identify good governance and interpret, assess, and manage corporate risk,
- Developed strategies and approaches for the effective management of stakeholders at Board level,
- Recognition of the importance and influence corporate values have in the development of a successful, responsible and ethical business,
- Increased confidence to challenge and influence Board level decisions and company direction.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will I get a formal qualification at the end of this course?
The Role of the Director and the Board is one of 5 modules that make up the Directors Development Programme. To gain the accreditation you need to have completed the full 5 modules.
You can attend these modules separately, or all in one go with our fast track 5 day DDP Accelerator course
If you chose to attend the Directors Development Programme on an accredited basis you will achieve a PGCert Strategic Leadership for Directors in Strategic Leadership and Management.
Participants deciding to opt for the non-accredited route still benefit from the CPD points for attending the each module.
Do you offer discounted rates for this course for NHS employees?
We have funding available to help towards the cost of the course for organisations such as the NHS and charities. There are also occasions where we have enough funding to offer reduced rates to other organisations and individuals such as self-funders, SME’s and even larger organisations. Speak to one of our consultants to find out if we can help with the cost of your course.
I'm attending the Role of The Director and The Board training course in Manchester, where is the best place for me to book my accomodation?
We have a partnership with the Radisson Hotel Group and are able to offer all In Professional Development delegates a discounted rate at all Radisson Hotel Group hotels throughout the UK. Speak to one of our education consultants to find out how to take advantage of this offer.
You can see all of our frequently asked questions on our FAQs page.
In association with
This course is for you if you want to:
- Learn more about the role of the duties and legal obligations of the director and the board
- Gain insight into corporate governance
- Understand the Company Act 2016 and its implications for businesses
- Think strategically versus operationally
- Increase confidence to challenge and influence Board level decisions and company direction
- Learn strategies for shaping and influencing change and transformation
As a non-director I was concerned this course would be beyond my level of understanding, however Stewart did an amazing job at tailoring the course content to my level of understanding and experience. Amazing course, would definitely recommend it to others!